Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Well, here goes nothing, part 1.

I must beg your forgiveness, but I am new at this and I still don't know quite what I am doing here. I have been on a journey that I have travelled alone for maybe eight years now, and I am tired of travelling it. and I hopw thatr you will travel it weith me.

On July 7, 2010, I wound up in the hospital Emergency Room with a severe case of Fungal Cellulitis. I have my ideas of where it came from, but I will discuss this at another time. I wound ou being admitted tio the Hospital with full isolation precautions and the chance of acquiring the MRSA Virus, which had around ten cases on the floor below me. I was in there for six days, during which time they fed me with enough IV fuid to turn me into a fish as well as two different antibiotics. Over time the Doctors were able to stabilize the Cellulitis, but not control it, so they sent me home with two more antibiotics, and thosr ran their course for two weeks.

Now this kind of thing has happened to me before, including a case of double Viral/Bacteral Callulitis which occured when I was in Portland two weeks before Finals of my first semester in 2007, from which I still bear the scars today. What was unusual was the circumstances in which it was treated. I am normally trated by Family Practice/General Practice Interns at Kern Medical Center or one of their clinics. However this time I was treated by a member of the Internal Medicine staff. I was in a car accident in 2006 which caused massive skin, tissue and muscle damage to my right leg, and my doctors at that time told me that the scarring would never heal, and I accepted this with no problem (it was a miracle that the bone was not crushed and/or I did not lode my leg). But now this doctor wanted to find out why the scarring had not healed, and he was detemined to do it, by hook or by crook.

Four weeks later, I went for an outpatient follow-up visit with this doctor and he had his Physician's Assistant check me for oxygen (O2) intake. It was good, but he had concerns about my nocturnal O2 intake. So he handed me over to the Pulmonary Clinic and the head of the Pulmonary Medicine Department, Dr. Munoz. He ran a couple of tests and then ordered me to have a nocturnal O2 test in October, whereupon, they immediately lost the results. The test was retaken in late November, and an appointment was set up for me in early January for me to learn the results.

In January, I went for my appointment, and Dr, Munoz had the results of the study. He found that over a six-hour period, I had lost O2 intake an average of seventeen times an hour and five of those times the was no O2 intake at all for at least three minutes at a time. He had me listed as having Sleep Apnea, and he ordered further test for me between January 3 and March 14. (to be continued).

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on entering the blogging world! Interesting so far (although you might want to define things like cellulitis and sleep apnea for the rest of us)

    ReplyDelete